The Winter Park Freeskiing Open was born because of the lack of AM/PRO Freeskiing slopestyle opportunities and events for athletes this winter. The goal it to have a unique format event, provide the finalist with exposure via a live webcast, and put some money in the pockets of the best freeskiing athletes in the region. The idea was to level the playing field and give sponsored and un-sponsored athletes the same chance to enter and compete for all the finalist spots. No favorites played at this event, so if you want to break onto the scene amongst the best â€“ you can do it at the Winter Park Open.
Best of all, if you can’t make it to the Winter Park Open you can watch all the action LIVE on Freeskier.com starting this Sunday! Just head to the homepage and you’ll see the live stream, hosted by myself (Digi Dave) and Meathead Films’ very own Mike Rogge.
Want text updates from the Winter Park Open?
Text “WPOPEN” to 66937 and we’ll send you updates as the event happens. Very handy if you’re stuck at work, church or a boring family Sunday dinner!
Standard messaging rates and all that BS applies, check with your cell carrier, bla bla bla. We warned you.
So tune in this Sunday, LIVE on Freeskier.com. If you’re looking to get down on the action, there are still spots left to register.
Winter Park Open Promo Vids
Dates: March 21-22, 2009
Event: Slopestyle, Open Class (no age-group classifications)
Format: Overall Impression from the 4 judge panel
- Qualifying: Best 1 of 2 runs slopestyle course. Top 10 men and Top 5 women advance to the Finals
- Finals: Big Air. Winner determined by the highest combined score of 5 different tricks on a single kicker. 5 runs, 5 tricks; add it up, and the highest score takes the most cash. Get it? Oh yeah, and doing the same trick 5 times won’t cut it
- No invitation required
- No pre-qualified athletes in Finals
- Open to the first 100 registrants
- Walk-up early bird registration for ONLY first 15 spots is available March 1 from 9:30am – 4:30pm.
- The remaining 85 spots become available online March 1 at 5pm. BOOK ONLINE NOW (Enter 3/2 or the current, later date in the top date field, and the day after that in the bottom date field)
- $100, includes 1-day lift ticket for the day of the event. Discounted lift tickets are available for training day at a cost of $37 per person.
- $75, if no lift ticket is required
- 1st, $2000
- 2nd, $1250
- 3rd, $750
- 4th – 10th: $100
- 1st, $750
- 2nd, $500
- 3rd, $350
- 4th – 10th: $100
Event Location: Dark Territory in Rail Yard
Training: March 20th
â–ª Dark Territory will be open to Dark Territory passholders and event participants
â–ª Event participants must have bib with them to enter the training area, NO EXCEPTIONS
â–ª Coaches must sign a Dark Territory waiver in the Competition Center before they will be allowed in the venue. Coaches’ wrist bands must be visible for entry into the venue.