Australia’s Russ Henshaw took the win at the 2012 Toyota One Hit Wonder (OHW) one week ago, stomping a triple cork 1440 and an impressive double cork 1080 double grab. Were his stunts superior to second place finisher Jossi Wells’ switch double cork 10, and double cork 12? Better than third place finisher Jordan Houghton’s impressive double corks? The judges said, “Yes.” But now, it’s your turn to be the judge, as the Toyota One Hit Wonder is looking to crown the 2012 People’s Choice champion.
Photo by Nick Parkinson.
The People’s Choice big air tricks were filmed “on the same 95ft Charles Beckinsale-built-jump at Thredbo Alpine Resort,” says the OHW team. The tricks “are selected by each athlete as the single jump they believe will impress the online audience the most, ultimately winning one of them the $5,000 cash prize.”
“As public perception usually differs from what the judges generally look for, a handful of this year’s athletes have opted for ‘one hit’ tricks that are slower, smoother spins with stylish grabs as opposed to a technically insane maneuver that would typically score well in front of a judging panel. Time will tell which game plan will pay off,” says Event Director Tim Myers.
The tricks nominated for 2012 People’s Choice are as follows:
- – Jordan Houghton (AUS): Double cork 1080, high mute grab.
- – Olly Cain (AUS): Double flatspin, Japan grab.
- – Dane Tudor (USA): Cork 900, tail grab.
- – Russ Henshaw (AUS): Triple cork 1440, mute grab.
- – Anna Segal (AUS): 720, leading tail grab.
- – Bernie Rosow (USA): Switch 540, Cuban grab.
- – Jaeden Schneider-Clark (CAN): Switch 1080, stalefish grab.
- – Conrad Lucas (AUS): 900, tail grab.
- – Thomas Waddell (AUS): Double flatspin.
What’s more? Each vote cast by the public goes into a draw to win an “Ultimate Winter Package,” worth more than $10,000. One lucky voter will be rewarded with Jetstar flights for two to Japan, accommodations at the Phoenix Hotel/Hakuba, new skis courtesy of Salomon, head-to-toe Mons Royale merino first layer clothing and a GoCam waterproof, wearable HD camera.
What are you waiting for? Go watch the videos and vote! Voting is open through October 16.