Kevin Rolland and Bobby Brown win 2010/11 Dew Cups
Bobby Brown – Dew Cup Slopestyle winner.
Snowbasin, UT. – February 15, 2011 – The Winter Dew Tour’s Toyota Championship at Snowbasin Resort in Ogden, Utah concluded Sunday evening, marking the end of the 2010-11 season. The Dew Cup Awards Ceremony honored the top winter athletes from around the world, who competed in freeskiing (slopestyle and superpipe) and snowboarding (slopestyle and superpipe) on the three-stop Tour. The Toyota Championship had record-breaking attendance with over 44,300 people experiencing the four-day event, making it the highest-attended Winter Dew Tour event in the Tour’s history by over 10,000.
The season-end ski award recipients are as follows:
· Men’s freeski superpipe – Kevin Rolland, 21, France with 286 points
· Men’s freeski slopestyle – Bobby Brown, 19, Breckenridge, Colo. with 274 points
Kevin Rolland – Powerbar Performance of the Year.
Toyota Athlete of the Year – Honors the male and female athlete who earned the most overall points in any one discipline during the 2010-11 Winter Dew Tour season.
· Male – Kevin Rolland with 286 points
Ball Park Rookie of the Year – Awards the rookies with the highest number of points in snowboarding and freeskiing.
· Freeski – Torin Yater-Wallace, 15, Basalt, CO with 130 points
Torin Yater-Wallace — Ballpark Rookie of the Year. [for ski, not snowboard like the check implies]
PowerBar Performance of the Year – Recognizing a single performance by an athlete that was clutch under pressure when it was needed most.
· Kevin Rolland – Rolland not only dominated on the superpipe, stomping his first run under pressure, but he managed to follow that up with a historic victory lap by besting his first score and further securing him the Dew Cup champion for the first time in his career.
For the first time, Snowbasin Resort hosted the four-day Championship event, which was highlighted by the first-ever Last Chance Qualifier, a brand-new 22-foot superpipe, the expansion of women’s freeski competitions, the Gatorade Free Flow Tour Finals and the Dew Cup Awards. During the four-day freeski and snowboard competition, approximately 44,300 fans experienced the Toyota Championship, making it the highest-attended Winter Dew Tour event in the Tour’s history by over 10,000.
About the author:
Shay Williams is the Managing Editor of Freeskier Magazine. He loves cheeseburgers, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Sweden. He's likely on a plane right now—first class only.